Sunday, May 08, 2022

Doing This Wrong

Not sure where to begin with this one. This morning was a rough trot with lots of general grumpiness on my part. Lots of this is because I've been staying up late and not getting enough sleep, which always makes everything else seem just that little bit worse. 

I decided I'd do Me Made May again this year, because, well why not? I've actually had a huge increase in my self- made wardrobe over the last twelve months, (3 dresses, a jumpsuit, shorts, and 3 skirts) so I think I thought it would just be easier than last year. The problem was that I didn't actually think through what my goal would be. Am I trying to just wear self-made clothes for all of May, no matter how hard that is? Or am I trying to reach for them first, like I did last year

I think I toyed around with the idea of having my Me Made May goal be something that actually made me adjust clothes so I could wear them, like the jumpsuit I started with last year, or my pink yukata. But we are a week in, and I have no intention of adjusting either of those items. So I'm grumpy because I don't really know what I'm doing, and on top of that, it remains inexplicably difficult to get a photograph of myself in any self-made item, let alone every day.

I feel very distinctly that I am doing this wrong. 

So this morning, when I woke up from a lovely sleep, and realised it was cold and I wasn't sure what I would wear, let alone find time to take a photo, I was not the best of company. Still, I put on a self-made dress which was a little bit perfect for Mother's Day, if also a little too cool for the sudden drop in temperature over night. 

And I got Sophie to take a photo of me after church with my Mother's Day flowers. I notice that the neckline facing doesn't sit right and that I need to tack it down. Bah, more adjusting. 

It's really not all bad, even though the photos are. This week, I've worn two dresses I wore last year, this dress and an unblogged one. Both of these were worn around the house, because now (as I suspected last year) they really are getting to the point where they are so soft and faded they can't pass as anything else. The sushi dress has not made an appearance this year because it was torn last year in an irreparable way. Devastation right there. Maybe what I'm learning is that it's time to retire some things? 

I've also worn this dress, which I did not make, but I did add pockets too. What is Me Made May about if not recognising how to be sustainable in your wardrobe and what is a sustainable wardrobe without pockets? 

I wore my Jocelyn Proust Dress last Sunday for day one. And I've also worn my yellow yukata to work last Thursday which coincidently coincided with Children's Day in Japan. Decided it was time to learn to tie a new obi style with it, as I was running late for work at 6:30 in the morning. Not the best choice, I'll be honest. New obi picture thanks to Rachel. 

I guess that's four dresses, a yukata and a pocket adjustment for the start of Me Made May, which, out of seven days, isn't really a bad start. Still, not sure what I'll do next, because the winter weather feels like it has arrived in force as I sit here with socks and a jumper and all the doors and windows closed. 

Hopefully I sort my goal out soon, because I'd hate to be grumpy for the rest of May, feeling like I'm doing something wrong. Also, if you've any tips on taking photos of yourself, let me know. That remains the worst part about the whole affair. 

No comments: