Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Skirts

Gosh I made these skirts ages ago now. I don't think I'm that slack in blogging, but I guess I just made a stack of things over the Summer holidays that needed blogging and that all takes time. Anyway, this is the last of the backlog. Hooray!

I went through the material stash a few times over the holidays and saw some shot silk that my Uncle had actually bought for my mum from Thailand at least 15 years ago. He had gifted mum two pieces, one of which she had used to make a skirt to wear for my wedding, but the other she hadn't touched at all. I'm not sure why she gave them to me, or when, but they were in my stash waiting to be made into something. 

There wasn't much of the purple left, but there was a substantial amount of the greeny/blue and I decided they would be skirts. I had one skirt in my drawer that fit well and I liked wearing and I figured I could duplicated it easily enough and have another one or two. 

I ended up with three new skirts, because I had to make a draft right? And since I was making the draft, I may as well make it in wearable fabric, so if the alterations are minor, I can still wear it. Steve tells me not to push the prototype to production, but I like to live on the edge. 

I made the first skirt out of the Ikea fabric I have used before to make the girls skorts and a dress. I lined it with a pillow case from my Lorraine Lea Linen friend (maybe the last one!) which went perfectly and is super comfy. 


The thing that went wrong was the back closure going a little too far over, but otherwise it was a great skirt and the cute heart button distracts from the flaws right? 


So on I went to make another skirt out of the blue/green. This fabric is unbelievably hard to photograph with any justice, but it is really lovely. Even after I washed it (probably ruining the silk forever), it is still beautiful to me. The back closure was the right size this time, but my left and right got mixed up and it doesn't necessarily close the "right" way. Oh well. Third time's lucky right? 

Of course, both of these skirts have pockets. See what I mean about photographing it and the colour? This (below) is much truer to what it looks like in real life. 


I went on to the scraps of the purple that were left from my mum's skirt. There was not enough for a full A-line skirt that the previous ones were, but there was enough for a wrap skirt. Unfortunately with a wrap skirt, you can't really put pockets in. My solution was to add a small loop in the waistband that I can clip my keys to, so if I want to wear it to work, I'm still safe from being locked out of my classroom. 

Being the last skirt, and made out of very limited amount of fabric, the purple skirt is the most fun. I used up buttons from the stash. The top one is a feature, but the other five match and they are all gold and shiny. 


The lining is the last of the jelly fish fabric that Rachel used for her first dress


I'm pretty happy with it, but it's a little short to wear without tights, so it's one for the winter months. Meanwhile, both of my other skirts have been out and about already. 

I made all three of these in about a week, which is a big addition to my wardrobe of skirts. Probably won't need to make any more for a while now. 

No comments: