Thursday, March 31, 2022

Sew Frugal 22

In my exploration around the internet (otherwise known as pointless scrolling) in early March, I stumbled across something talked about in the online sewing community called Sew Frugal 22. The idea was that in March, you sewed something with a free pattern using fabric from your stash. The point here was to not go out and spend any money. If you didn't have any actual fabric in your stash, you could look around the house for what else could be repurposed - some bed sheets or curtains perhaps. 

Anyway, since I was busy isolating, I watched a fair few videos on YouTube of sewing people suggesting patterns you could use for this task and scored a stack of new patterns for my collection. One of these was the Alejandra Jumpsuit Pattern from The Fabric Store. I'm developing quite an affinity for jumpsuits, in fact, if I could wear one every day I probably would. I think I love the fact that I don't have to think about what matches like when you are wearing a skirt or shorts and top, and I love the practicality of them compared to dresses, which aren't always my friend when I'm trying to sit on the floor with a class of preps for music. 

Mum happened to drop off some fabric that she'd picked up at an op shop for a bargain which worked pretty well, so I sewed it up. If I had Instagram, I'd be in the running for some of the #SewFrugal22 prizes, but alas, I'm not that hip and cool. 

So this is what I sewed in the seven hours that the girls played in Soft Land. It came together pretty well and the slouchy fit is very forgiving. I'd probably size down the top if I made it again - the shoulders seem a bit baggy. But otherwise it looks pretty swish and is comfy. 

Rachel took the photo for me, after I found it was incredibly hard to photograph oneself in a jumpsuit. Buttons are from the stash so everything about this project was free. Talk about sewing frugally right? 

No comments: