Thursday, March 03, 2022

Renovated Sewing Nook: First Produce

 In cleaning things out when we renovated the sewing nook after Christmas, I rediscovered the bag of ties that I still had donated from my dad when he finished working. I've only used two of these in over ten years of having them (shorts, dress, shirt), and it was really time to make the call. I donated most of them to someone in the Brisbane sewing community, but kept three that I decided I could absolutely reuse. 

Years and years ago I had made a stack of drawstring jewellery pouches using this tutorial from Sew4Home. I made so many for gifts for friends for Christmas that year that I was over sewing them before I took the time to make myself one. Now it was time to make one out of these lovely ties that needed another life. 

I sat and unpicked the ties to salvage all the fabric I could, and ironed everything multiple times. Lots of piecing to get enough fabric for the circles and I used interfacing to keep things stable because bias-cut ties do not want to stay flat by any means. 

So pretty and functional! I took this to Bundaberg when we went up to meet our new niece, and it's all I've ever needed in a jewellery pouch. Hooray! I'm glad to have used up my dad's ties at least a little, and also glad that the rest of them have gone on to live with someone else. 

And so happy with my new sewing nook set up, which made sewing this so easy. Winning all round. 

No comments: