Sunday, October 28, 2018

Shorts. So Many Shorts.

With the change of the seasons and subsequent clean out of the children's wardrobes, I have noticed several gaps in their clothing that needed filling. So obviously, I filled the need. At the time, I didn't realize how many shorts I was making, but now I see, oh so clearly. 


The first set of shorts were just Sycamore Shorts in various sizes. Hugo was lucky enough to score a pair too, which I made from an old shirt of Steve's. I had been planning to make a dress for Rachel, but in the end couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do it, and shorts was easier. 


I kept the buttons (just sewed the seam down so they don't open) and added some left over tie (from Sophie's Dress) on the other. They look pretty groovy, and seem to be comfortable for Hugo too.


The girls got shorts too. Sophie one pair, and Rachel two. I used left over blue material from Rachel's Lillie Dress and some stars material for the first pair. Given that Rachel pretty much loves dresses (every day), I knew these shorts wouldn't get much wear unless they looked like a skirt.


Tada!

And I was right about the wearing factor. She does like them though. Only when dresses are not an option of course.


The two other shorts were made with some material from Steve's Aunty Sue in Sydney. Free fabric! Is there anything better?


To make them more fun, I let the girls choose iron on patches. Sophie choose the koala, and Rachel the giraffe below. Rachel also got a pocket with the very last of the blue material. Another ploy to get her to wear them. Having a pocket to stash anything she collects is a definite bonus for her.


 Now the fancy shorts! This time, Sophie gets two, and Rachel gets one. Sort of.


These are all made from the Clover Shorts Pattern, which makes for some really shiny shorts. Pockets, cuffs, flat front waist band. So beautiful. They are also made with a very mixed collection of material. You might even noticed that blue spot material has been used to make Clover Shorts before.


The colour match is not great, but I had just enough of that unicorn fabric left over from Sophie's Library Bag to make the front and pockets from. I did have other material that was a better colour match, but I went with the blue spot because it was the same weight, or kind of material, which is apparently important?


The other unicorn fabric I got on sale at spotlight with the star material, and they go together marvelously well. The blue floral stuff was in the the material from Aunty Sue, and that colour matched so well. Perfection!


Rachel's shorts were the star material with some of the pink-orange stuff from Aunty Sue. Unfortunately for Rachel, when she put them on, they fit, but were a little tight to get on and off, so she actually ended up with no Clover Shorts. I gave them to another little girl.

1 comment:

Aunty Sue said...

Hey Paula,
You are so clever and I am sure the girls love watching their clothes being made and having an input. I am so glad you could use the material. I had so many plans that did not happen so it is a real pleasure for me to see your beautiful girls looking so great in them. All the shorts look fantastic.