Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Rachel's Sewing Achievements

As I went to share what Rachel sewed up for Sophie's birthday in January, I realised that I missed documenting her very first sewing machine achievement from August last year. Time to rectify things! Before Rachel sewed an Enormous Pikachu, she made a dress. 

It's reversible and has some little patch pockets. It was a good basic starting place for this little seven year old learning to sew. I'm all for sewing things that are practical. This jelly fish fabric was a $2 remnant I picked up from Spotlight, and the reverse is rainbow fish that was gifted to use from Aunty Sue a while ago with fabric that I've used in lots of places (like here, here, here, here and here).

After a break and an Enormous Pikachu, Rachel said she'd like to make Sophie a pair of shorts for her birthday. We looked through the stash and I had some grey arrow fabric that was leftover from a shirt I made for Steve (un-blogged) that would do. 

Rachel is coming along in leaps and bounds with her sewing and we had this out in about two hours. She lined the pockets and the waistband with some scrap fabric leftover from skirts for fun pops of colour. There ended up being enough fabric left over for my mum to get a shirt for Hugo out of it too. Makes me glad to know it's all been used and nothing wasted. 

We used the go to Clover Shorts Pattern which I have used countless times before, the most recent of which being Sophie's Christmas Shorts

Is there anything better than a lovingly hand made birthday present? I love that the shorts match the Pocahontas shirt that we gave Sophie. It's the spinning arrow! True believers know what I mean. 


Good work sewing things Rachel. You are amazing.

No comments: