Thursday, October 03, 2019

Holes in the Cupboard

At the change of season I do a cull through the girls wardrobes and I notice the holes. Gaps where they won't have enough clothes to get through the next few months. This brings on a subsequent sewing binge, which never feels bad because it's all unselfish, totally practical and using up material in the stash.

Enter September 2019. It's hot again, and the girls need shorts. Rachel mostly because she was down to one skirt. I think Sophie only got so many because I think she'll have a growth spurt soon, and so though she's still got two pairs from April, I don't think they are going to last long.


Sophie's haul was a skirt and two shorts. I did actually intend to make the skirt out of the pink and orange material, because it's so light and flow-y, but then accidentally cut shorts out of it instead. Oh well. The blue flower print (that has previously been shorts and a dress) is the skirt. I've used the pink and orange fabric before too (thanks Aunty Sue!)


The castle and knights fabric is new on the scene. I bought it on sale at Spotlight at least four years ago now, and every now and then I dig it out and see if the girls fancy it. At last they said yes! It's so cool right!? Can you see the bunting on it? :D


Rachel got the castle and knight material as a skirt over a surprise pair of shorts. Two in one! That red fabric is the one that has caused me much trouble in the past, but this time, I pre-washed it. Twice. Here is Rachel loving her skirt with it's surprise shorts.


The girls both love wearing their new gear, which makes me pretty happy. I know there will come a time that they won't like wearing what I make (in fact I probably won't bother making stuff then) so I'm loving it now.


I know it's because they are my children, and I love them so much, but could they be any cuter!?


Rachel's other garment was a skirt out of the crazy floral fabric (again, donated from somewhere), that was put on as soon as it was sewn. Straight off the sewing machine. She did help sew it, sitting at the machine, putting the presser foot up and down and pressing the reversing button too.


And she's such a character that I don't really mind.

No comments: