Sunday, December 26, 2021

Christmas Sewing

I thought that the girls had Christmas dresses, or at least Rachel would have, since she should fit Sophie's from last year, but no matter how many times I went through the cupboard, no outfits were to be found. So off to Spotlight I went to grab some fabric. 

The girls came with and we came back with two pieces of Jocelyn Proust fabric. Rachel's was a little more pink than I would have liked, but I couldn't talk her out of it. Sophie liked it so much that she asked if there were leftovers, could she get a pair of shorts. 

So I made Rachel a dress, using the bodice pattern from the dress I had made for the girls for Fiona's wedding. I didn't have Rachel around when I was tracing it though, so I just traced the size six and winged it with the adjustments. I also lowered the back neckline, so I wouldn't need a zip that was as long and could use up one from my stash. 

I could absolutely have traced a size five for her though, because the whole dress turned out enormous. Two darts in the back and pin tucks in the skirt and it's wearable for this year, and next year I'll just let all that out and she can wear it again. Excellent. 

The lace in the skirt is also from the stash. I had the exact amount for twice around, so that felt very good. And I had exactly the right amount of fabric left (half a metre) to get a pair of shorts out for Sophie. 

I don't love it when they match, but I wasn't going to not make the shorts and let the fabric go to waste. I used the Clover Shorts pattern again and Sophie loves the pockets. 

I was planning on making her something out of the other fabric we had, but it was already the second week of December by the time I made these, so it didn't feel too worth it. Sophie's shorts are pretty loose, so they should fit her next year too. 


Hopefully it's not too matchy... in any case,  since both girls will have another year wear out of them, next year will be less matchy once I make a second Christmas option. 

No comments: