Monday, February 03, 2020

Rachel's Turn

As with Sophie last year, I feel I should make an obligatory post about how Rachel too has joined the ranks of children who attend school. Yep. Rachel is now in Prep. Just like that.


Actually, it was not really something that snuck up on us at all, because from the very first day of holidays, and I mean the very first day, Rachel asked us if it was a school day. Kindy finished on Friday, and Saturday morning she said to me: "Am I going to school today?" Six weeks of holiday is a long time to wait for that first day, but it came none the less. Sophie was also beside herself to know that Rachel was joining her at school.


I hadn't really given it much thought, because I was going to be back at work too. In the swing of things, hitting the ground running and whatever. But by some miracle, and I am indeed crediting God for this, I didn't have any of my day care children starting early that first day. Every one of them came at 9am or later.

Such an amazing blessing, because it did mean so many things. We got to have waffles for breakfast.  I didn't have to juggle trying to hold hands of another three children while also carrying two very heavy boxes of school supplies. We got to take our time finding the new classrooms. I got to give quick goodbye hugs without looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't have any escapees. So thankful.

Steve did the pick up. Hooray for the first day!


Rachel was so ready. With ten minutes to go till the bell she was asking me: "Can I go into my classroom now?" And she loves it. Making friends, learning new things, already with a deep admiration and love for Sophie's old Prep teacher who is now her Prep teacher. Doing it all with a home made school bag in tow.


And still being uniquely Rachel. Here she is on that very first morning, all ready to go, finding bugs on the deck.


Shine bright little Rachel. May your crazy eyes take in all they can as you discover a new world of education.

No comments: