Monday, October 15, 2018

Living Vicariously Through My Children

There is limited opportunity for adults to dress up in costumes. This is pretty disappointing to say the least. So I'm officially living through my children as I encourage them to dress up any time it might be appropriate. Thus, I have already started making costumes for the girls to wear to our street Halloween party.

Even as I write this though, I'm wondering what my stance on Halloween should be. It's not a typically Australian tradition, nor is it particularly encouraged in Christian circles. To be honest, I don't even know where it came from or what it's really about. Australia seems to be jumping on board with "scary" Halloween, but everything I see from American or European bloggers that I follow has a focus much more on family activities, and fun. Costumes aren't all scary, they are just costumes. Sure, you can be a witch, but you can just as easily be a bunny, or fairy.

Given how much of a global village the world is these days, and how multicultural Australia is, I don't actually have a problem with adopting other culture's celebrations. We celebrate Chinese New Year, why not Halloween? I actually see it as a really cool way to get to know the neighbors more, and build the community in our street.

Anyway, inhibitions about Halloween aside, I'm looking forward to the fun and the costumes. I'm thinking of getting something non-edible to hand out. Maybe stickers? In the mean time, the girls costumes are underway. After all of the Pokemon they have been watching, I may have strongly suggested some trainers from the Alola region episodes. Can you guess who they chose?

Image result
Alola Friends: Lillie, Mallow and Lana



No comments: