Sunday, August 27, 2023

Book Week

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year when people are talking about reading, books and characters that have influenced their lives. Book Week is just magnificent. Even when I see characters that were definitely movies first, I'm not too worried, because for everyone one of those, there are five more kids dressed up as someone they read about first. 


This year was a no sewing year for us. Not by design, but just serendipity. Sophie wanted to be Anna-Beth from the Percy Jackson series. Arguably the hardest costume, because finding an orange shirt proved to be incredibly difficult. Once we had that though, my friend Amy was kind enough to print and iron on the appropriate logo. 


Rachel wanted to be Lavender from Matilda. Mostly because she has a pet newt called Isaac. I guess this was the sewing part of the costumes, because I did whip up that little lizard the night before. We could have used some more forethought though, since the legs didn't turn out at all, and I ended up sewing them on inside out, but whatever. Rachel sewed the eyes on herself like the good little sewer she is. We borrowed her a different school uniform dress from a friend on the street. 

I got to have two Book Weeks, so I recycled the Mary Poppins from last year, and went as Matilda on the second day. I based my Matilda costume off the stage musical, since I wanted to be able to sing the songs. Borrowed a grey skirt from a girl at church (it's her high school skirt), and then wore a Cue shirt of Sarah's that was in my dress up box, along with my blazer and tie from when I lived in Japan. 

Look around, look around, how lucky we are to be alive right now! Here is me as Matilda leading the revolt against the Trunchbull at school. Some days are the best. 

No comments: