Friday, August 18, 2023

What they Wore

I realized as I flicked back through the very haphazard posts of this year, that I neglected to share what the girls wore to guides the night they celebrated the Coronation of the King at Guides. I made the crowns, which I talk about here, but didn't follow up with a quick post about the rest of their outfits. 

They were pretty funny picking out dresses, because I have made them loads of princess style dresses which still fit (see red one here and blue one here), but for some reason, they wanted to wear anything but that. In the dress ups, they found an Asian style dress I had bought in New Zealand of all places back when I was 17, and my formal dress, which my mum had made in the same year. 

Rachel was enamored with my formal dress, and Sophie loved the Asian style one. Unbelievably, Sophie was also tall enough to get away with wearing it, without me having to do any adjustments. It was a little long, but with the side splits, it didn't matter. 

Rachel's on the other hand, needed a fair few things adjusted to make it wearable. I asked her if she wanted me to remove the sleaves that I had put on spontaneously one year when I was working at an OSCH and we had a dress up day. She told me no, she loved the sleeves. So I just tucked them up a bit to make them short enough for her arms and otherwise left them. 

Then I took up the shoulders, hem of the underskirt and tacked up the sheer overlayer in places to give it a swishy ball-gown feel. The dress was a bit chaotic, but very Rachel. Sophie was very particular about how she was a Princess of Wisdom and I do feel that she nailed that look. My red and blue dresses did get used on the night by some other girls who needed a dress, so good to know my sewing didn't go to waste after all. 

No comments: