Monday, August 14, 2023

Belated Camping Memories

 Much earlier this year, back in April actually, I took the girls camping. We went to the usual spot for a "just the girls and I" camping trip, since it's easy and still fun. The difference this time, was that we also took some friends. The girls cousin Hugo and our friend Mia both have Dads who are into camping, but their Mums are not so much. Kind of like Steve and I, but reverse. 

Anyway, we booked a couple of nights and the kids had a blast. It was a bit rainy, but dry enough for us to venture out and see the glow worms at the Natural Bridge the first night. 

The next day we did the Warrie Circuit, which I a little bit regret suggesting, since the rainy-ness had made a lot of mud. We did the walk in good spirits, only a little complaining from the kids at then end, which was abated when I told them I'd dish out a marshmallow for every hundred steps we went up. 

While I could barely move the next three days from the pain in my knees and hips (welcome to old age?), the trip overall had been a success. I'd like to thank the playdough I packed for entertaining the kids for a lot of our campsite down time, and the audio book, Have Sword, Will Travel by Garth Nix and Sean Williams, which also kept them occupied and resting for the before bedtime hour and the two hours it took us to pack up in the morning. 

On the way home, we stopped off at the Gold Coast for a play and an impromptu swim (kids only!) Sophie cooked us sausages on the BBQ for lunch and we picked up a pie from Yatala for dinner. It was beautiful and a lovely reminder that we live in a beautiful part of the world. 

No comments: