Friday, January 20, 2023

Bucket Drum Dampers

One down side to teaching music to a bunch of kids is that you generally want to get them drumming and that is loud. When they are little and just using their hands, it's bearable, but a class of 25 grade 6 students all using bucket drums with sticks in a confined space is not. Last year I ran lots of my lessons outside to combat the noise factor, but it's not always feasible. 

So I took the bucket drum home in December and did a shout out to my community for anyone going through their old towels over Christmas. With the donated towels and sheets, I cut circles and sewed three layers together on Olivia the Overlocker to fit the top of the drum. Noise damping success! 

Glad I could recycle the towels before they were thrown away, and have saved my ears in the process. The sad news was that Olivia began making funny noises as I sewed the last five or so. I assumed she was protesting at the thick layers of towelling I was making her sew, but after taking her to the sewing machine guy, it turns out the plastic casing on her motor is cracked. Alas for my hard working Olivia! 

No comments: