Monday, June 27, 2022

Making a Wreath

Don't die, but here is something that I got creative with that does not involve a sewing machine. Making a wreath. 

A friend of mine who lives on the street recently had a go at making one of these and offered to show the rest of us how to do it. We started the morning off by going to the local creek and pulling invasive weed vines off the trees to harvest for our wreaths. So environmentally friendly! I did pull vines too, though not as successfully as Darryl, pictured below.

After we had an enormous amount, we went back home to strip the leaves and start winding the vines into a wreath. We tied them off and added the dream catcher bit in the middle. I had enough vines to make two wreaths, and I decided to leave the dream catcher bit off one of them. I think in hindsight it helps keep the shape of the wreath, but it's not essential. 

After that you add moss and stuff in your succulents. What I loved most about this, was sitting around chatting with my street family while we did it. Our kids would come in and out, there were snack breaks and sharing. I'm so thankful for this place I live, and the people I get to spend time with who give me another perspective and enrich my life. 

Now to keep them alive....

No comments: