Sunday, July 17, 2022

Rachel Turns 8

This is a little late, because we were travelling for the holidays, but Rachel turned eight in June and I'd like to keep the memory. Even in about the three months leading up to June, whenever anyone asked me how old my kids were, I'd already started answering "eight and nine". For some reason, Rachel was already there. 

Maybe because she's grown so tall (or so determined?), but she's been feeling eight for a lot longer than seven. Maybe it's my dislike for odd numbers, though I don't seem to have a problem saying Sophie is nine. :P 


In any case, this year was keeping it simple. We had a birthday celebration with family the week before the actual day. She pivoted back to an insect cake and requested a stick insect. I was pretty happy when she clarified that a round cake with a stick insect on top was what she wanted, rather than a cake shaped like a stick insect. I made the chocolate cake using my mum's recipe, found it was rather small, so I made another one to go on top and then iced all of it with some of the most beautiful chocolate icing ever. 

I rolled and cut leaves out of fondant and made a little stick insect to camouflage among them and we were done. 

Happiest of birthdays to you my Rachel.  

No comments: