Tuesday, November 09, 2021

Camping Memories

 Last camping trip. Maybe ever.

It sounds very fatalistic, but in the lead up to camping at the start of October, I started to realise that even though I would love for us to be a camping family, we just weren't. Camping wasn't a priority for us. Steve was happy to camp, but it was never something he would actively suggest or be excited about. While I loved going camping, I had to admit, I wasn't advocating for a four wheel drive, or to go off an explore places that were any more than two hours away. 

So while I was a little sad at the realisation, I was also ok with it too. We aren't a camping family. 

That said, we did have a great time camping with Steve's mum, brother and all the kids for four days at the start of October. 


We took everyone back to the property at Fernvale where we had camped in 2020. Steve's brother had bought a four wheel drive (he's committed to camping), at the start of the year, and as soon as I heard, I booked us in to camp together. It was perfect. I was a little worried the kids would get sick of each other, but they had a great time playing together. 

We hired the kyaks and paddled around on the river. The days were warm enough to get in the water, at least a little anyway.

Everyone tried fishing. 


Rachel caught a fish. 

We played card games, we had campfires, we ate all the food. 


The last night, we watched the grand final of some sports ball game, which I never would have even though would be something we would do while camping, but it was important to John, and it was his birthday, so we did it. Glad we were in range for the wifi to work, or I think he would have packed up and driven home. 

I loved waking up to these little girls in our tent. 

And it was over at just the right time. We packed up and came home. 

I have given away most of our camping stuff since then. Camp chairs, the four man tent, the huge twelve man tent, the cast iron saucepan, the self inflating mattresses and all sorts of other stuff. I'll admit, I haven't got all the way yet. We still have one box of camping related things in the garden shed; plastic plates and cups, the lantern, the bread toaster thing, as well as one two man tent, which packs flat and easy to pop up. 

So if I did feel the need to take the girls for a one nighter again, I've got the means for a little while longer. Our street people are talking about a group camping trip too, but I figure, if we go with people who camp - they will have all the stuff right?  

No comments: