Saturday, March 28, 2020

Resolution Update and COVID-19 Thoughts

Like many people out there, we have joined the ranks of people who are staying home in an attempt to aid the "stop the spread" of COVID-19. The whole thing is unprecedented, at least in my life time. Everything is cancelled. We wash our hands much more than usual. I'm never sure if I'll get everything we need for the weekly shop when I go. In fact, I think I have to go to the shops more now days, simply because panic buying means with things being sold out, you can't get everything the first time. Kind of ironic really. 

Among all the turmoil and crazy, there is life going on though. Steve works from home, the girls still play, our neighbors share what they have, though we now drop it off 1.5m from the door. I'm still trying to keep up with my New Years Resolutions, which is unsurprisingly easier when you don't have anywhere to go on the weekend. 

I've made it two 2 Kings in my bible reading, which, I'll be honest, was pretty tough going. As hard as reading Joshua and Judges is normally, reading them in easy language made it all the more real. People are broken, in so many ways. I know that I've often reflected that without the bad, you don't celebrate the good. Like when you are reading a Roald Dahl book (Matilda, or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are good examples) and the main character experiences some truly horrible stuff at the beginning, but that's what makes you love and cheer for them all the more when they do get to succeed.

So we need to see the state of the world in the Old Testament, the state of the human heart, to fully appreciate our need for Jesus when he shows up in the New Testament. Even so, it was a hard slog this year. Maybe I'm just more emotional as I get older, but it was tough. I am enjoying the Message Version though, and it is refreshing to read, so that's good. 

At the start of March I was in 1 Samuel, and I read this reaction of Samuel's to some pretty bad news:

"Samuel was angry when he heard this.
He prayed his anger and disappointment all through the night."
1 Sam 15:11+12

I love the reminder that we can come to God and share what is on our hearts, including our anger and disappointment. I'd encourage you to read the whole passage (the whole bible really!), because context is everything, but no where does it say that God didn't hear that prayer. No where does God tell people he only wants the "good" stuff. Samuel's prayer of anger and disappointment was just as heard as the times that he praised God, or thanked him. 

This is how I feel about COVID-19. There is anger and disappointment. There is grief and loss. There is confusion and heart break. There is uncertainty. And we don't have to carry it alone. We can be like Samuel and pray through the night, knowing that God is listening. 

I commented to a girlfriend the other day that there are so many people to pray for right now. I am taking heart that God is bigger than this problem, and though I might forget people in my long list, he never will. 

In February, when I was struggling though Judges, I read this verse:

"God took Israel's troubles to heart."
Judges 10:16

Again, context people, don't just take my word for it (although, also don't start in Judges, or at least, that's not my recommendation). I've written it on our white board to remind us daily that God is no only listening, but is feeling our struggle, just as he did in the times of Judges. 

So I'll keep reading, and washing my hands, and praying my heart to God. He is listening, and taking my troubles to heart. 

No comments: