Thursday, March 01, 2018

Doona Cover Dress

I have been thinking for a while that I should make myself another dress. If you'll remember last year, I made leaps and bounds of progression with my sewing such that I successfully drafted and sewed myself a tailor made dress that fits to perfection. And has pockets. Suffice to say; I wear it a lot. 

So, when Steve was in Melbourne for work for a weekend, I decided I'd make a dress. I used an old doona cover that had been left here from when Sammie was renting with us. We didn't have a bed that would fit it, and I loved the bright print. Yay for recycling! 

I knew that the bodice would fit, but I wanted to try something new for the skirt part, so I attempted a circle skirt. I say attempted, because I wanted a semi circle skirt, and somehow the maths went wrong and I ended up with a full circle skirt. Not the end of the world, and certainly has more spin potential, but not quite what I was going for. 

I did buy some awesome spotty bias binding to finish the dress with, and given that I had everything else on hand, I think that's ok. $10 for a dress these days ain't bad!

Because the material had sat in the cupboard for umm... six or seven years now, there were a few holes, but I just used some of the bias tape and cut heart shapes to patch it. So pretty and you don't even notice they are there.

Here I am wearing it on it's first outing to church, the day after I made it. The girls were also in home made dresses, making me feel special, even if I didn't make them (thanks mum).

And here I am wearing it on date night with Steve. Thanks for being ok with your crazy wife and going out in public with her very unique dress.

No comments: