Tuesday, March 26, 2024

The Tragedy of Harmony Day 2024

Usually on Harmony Day, I just bust out a yukata or kimono. It's easy, it's beautiful and I love it. This year, I felt I wanted to do something a little different. The school I'm at has a largeish population of students from India, so I thought it would be cool to wear a saree. 

I've got a saree, which I've worn before (see here), but it's very sheer, so not really 100% suitable for a school. Also, I've since learned that red is a very "bride at a wedding" colour and now that's mostly all I hear this saree screaming at me when I take it out. I'm hopeful I'll wear it again, since it is beautiful, but not really right for Harmony Day. Luckily there is someone in Salisbury selling saree and I was able to get a lovely cotton/silk blend one. 

When I bought it, I did ask if it was ok that I would be wearing it, wanting to be respectful to other cultures. The lady I bought it from assured me that anyone seeing me wear it would just think it was beautiful and be happy that I had taken the time to wear it. She did also check that I knew how to put it on properly. 


The most exciting thing about buying the saree, was when I found that the length of fabric actually comes with a section that is designed to be cut off and made into the blouse to match. So cool. My original plan had just been to wear a t-shirt underneath, but I came home more delighted than ever knowing that not only did I have a beautiful new saree, I also had one that allowed me to do some sewing. 


I watched a few tutorials on saree blouse sewing on YouTube and examined the blouse I already had before making up a pattern and giving it a go. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, though I could have cut the neck line at the back slightly lower. 


Then I practiced putting it on. Just like with my yukata and kimono, wearing a saree takes practice. Once you've got the hang of the pleating, most of it is very straight forward. This saree has a beautiful hand painted section on the palla, which if I were wearing it the ordinary drape style, I could have loose on my arm for people to see. Even with it wrapped around, it's beautiful. 


For those still bothering to read this (somewhat long and uninteresting post), I'm wearing this in a reverse mermaid style drape. It had the most coverage and was most practical for a full day of teaching. 


Fun times!


Rachel actually helped me take these photos and she amused herself in between taking photos of me by taking selfies and then photo bombing every chance she could. 


Kids! 


Now that you've read all this way, I bet you are thinking "where is the tragedy?" and getting ready to accuse me of misleading click-bait-esque titles. Stay with me friends, the tragedy is that I did not get to wear this beautiful outfit on Harmony Day this year. Despite my organisation, I was pretty terribly sick come the 21st of March and I spent the day (as I had the previous day) lying around the house in pain. I'm glad I had practiced wearing the saree and thus have these photos, but actually wearing it to an occasion will have to wait for another time. 

No comments: