Thursday, March 21, 2024

Majikarp Bag

Sometimes and idea is kicking around for a long time before anything happens with it, and such was the case with this Majikarp Bag. Sophie's birthday was coming up, and I had leftover orange fabric from making my jumpsuit for Steve's office Christmas Party. Perfect timing. 

I'd actually wanted to make Sophie this bag for a while, knowing she'd love it. Additionally, she often needed a bag for jiu-jitsu, but I put off making it, since I didn't have the right fabric on hand. 

All that had changed after the jumpsuit, and so with, I think, two weeks to go before the birthday, I set about making the bag as stealthily as one can. 

The bag itself was just a very simple drawstring situation, though I wanted to line it so the inside looked every bit as beautiful as the outside. I looked at a few reference images of Majikarp Pokémon online and then did a bit of sketching and planning. I used leftover orange fabric (from the aforementioned jumpsuit) some random white which was a bedsheet and yellow fabric that was still remaining from a friend's wedding table cloth set (that they gifted us before 2010 when I used them as impromptu curtains after we first moved into our house and in other places like these Madeline Costumes in 2016!).

I padded the fins to give them a bit of structure and then put all the pieces of the outer bag together. Just had to sew some fin details on in black before sewing the whole thing up. 

I was lucky enough to have the cord for the drawstring in my stash thanks to random donations from people over the years, so I didn't even need to go to Spotlight for anything. Very happy with the end result, which I photographed late at night when I finished while Sophie was asleep. 


Sophie loves her Majikarp bag and now uses it regularly as her jiu-jitsu bag. It's big enough to fit her water bottle, snack and book easily. 

No comments: