Saturday, September 24, 2022

Normality Restored: Planting Things

Now that the Nana Flat is done, and the turf was laid, it was time to start thinking about the garden beds. I especially wanted to get things into the ground before October rolled around and the weather turned hot and horrible. We had heaps of plants that we had kept from our garden beds prior to the renovation, as well as two of the four trees that we had saved

Excitedly, we ordered some soil and mulch and got going. The garden bed that had been created by the retaining wall that ran around the right side of our property (near the Nana Flat), we filled up and planted small things in. Maria has put lots of ground cover type stuff in the part that runs near the Nana Flat, while out the front where it comes down closer to ground level, I took advantage of the sun profile and planted lots of herbs. 

I wasn't going to plant anything in this garden bed, but this little section at the front actually has the most sun out of all of our garden beds now, and I didn't want to waste it. I also planted a jasmine vine to climb up over the fence. We had a jasmine vine given to us as a house warming present when we bought in 2010, and it had been thriving in that front corner of the yard before we had to dig it out for the renovations. 

In the ground in both corners of the front yard we planted the two trees that had managed to survive (RIP Blueberry Ash and Luscious Number One), the Australian Frangipani and the Luscious. These trees are so happy to be back in the ground and I'm just delighted they made it after nearly eight months of living in the confines of a big black rubbish bin. 

The day we planted, we emptied one and a half of our compost bins and I was practically swooning over the rich black soil. Most of the ground at the front we discovered was all clay, which isn't great for growing things. We had asked our builders to mix in some gypsum to help break it up when they levelled it off, which they did, so that's there, but it's not the kind of stuff that works overnight. As Steve dug each hole for the trees, I worked the gloriously alive, black compost into the clay before the trees went in. 

The small garden bed at the top of the driveway also has the clay problem, but the additional difficulty of only getting about three hours of sunlight a day. In the morning, this garden bed is shaded by the house, and in the afternoon, it's shaded by the fence. We were really not sure anything was going to grow there at all, especially with the damp clay/ground situation. 

But, it was worth a try. Eventually I'd like to plant a tree there (or at the top of the retaining wall) that will grow up and shade the house, but baby steps to start with. Let's see if we can get something small growing first. So I planted some little flowers, chives and a plant that Bunnings assured me was indoors-y and would do well with limited sun. 

Everything loves it's life there, which again, probably has a lot to do with the compost factor. Let me gush some more over the gloriousness of the compost! I feel I could write love poems to that compost. 


Anyway, thus far, the things planted in the front are thriving and it's really feeling like the renovations are over and we are settled in. We've also upgraded some of things that were living in the pots at the back of the house to larger pots, but most of them are still in limbo land as far as were we will eventually plant them.

I've got one native guava, which I'm guessing will do well in the sun, and a native something else I got at the school fete in 2021 which had Love in the name. I can't read the tag any more, and when I bought it, the guy at the plant stall told me it was a ground cover, but the way it's growing doesn't look very ground cover-y to me. Anyway, that's a problem for future Paula. Current Paula is happy keeping things alive and growing where they are. 

No comments: