Thursday, September 15, 2022

I Had a Moment

 hanhaba obi

Not 100% sure what inspired this, but in August, I had a moment where I wore traditional Japanese clothes every day; for a week. Since my post back in April, I've been wearing yukata a lot more. Mostly to school, probably once a week, or once a fortnight at least. But I was wanting to wear my kimono more, and so when the girls were at their guide camp, I figured I had enough time on the Sunday morning to put one on and get to church. 

Unfortunately, we had a car accident the day before, so I was not feeling up to the intense work out that would have been required for a full kimono and I just started with a yukata instead. Still, it was beautiful and comfy and I loved it. The August weather is so perfect for kimono and yukata in Brisbane, so when Monday rolled around, I wrote another one to school. 

On Tuesday, I wore another. I don't think I had initially started with a plan to wear one a day, but once I was going, there was just no stopping. I wore them to school, to the doctors, to get groceries, to have lunch with my sister at a cafe, everywhere! 

I tried out different obi styles, and combinations between obi and yukata. Most days I would start wearing a haori (a kimono jacket/coat) as well, and then layer off as the day warmed up. 

haori - Japanese kimono jackets/coats

It was beautiful. I did end up finishing by wearing a kimono, even though we had done some gardening the day before and my arms were like wet spaghetti noodles by the time I'd finished tying the obi

I didn't even wear all of my yukata, or obi, or haori, in that week of blissful Japanese-ness. I could have easily kept going, but I don't know if I'm ready just yet to make a full switch to completely strange.

Here are all the things I wore that week, sans shoes, since I forgot to pop them into the photo. I do have a modest collection of Japanese shoes as well, though I alternated with my converse since the days are still cool. 


Beautiful combinations, colours and fun. I hope I have another moment again soon. 

No comments: