Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Ten Photos

These things go around on social media all the time. "Ten Photo Challenge", "Albums that influenced me", "Heartbreaking moments to raise awareness for something important". There are lots of different types all with similar "rules": nominate someone, keep it going, post every day.

I had thus far in my life avoided being nominated, but with COVID-19 keeping everyone at home, I guess my luck had run out. Over ten days ago now, my sister-in-law nominated me for a "Ten Photos of Motherhood" challenge and while I didn't really participate (no nominations from me), I did post a photo of a glimpse into my life as a mum diligently for ten days.

It was hard work. Which photos would best capture life, or portray what it was to be a mum? How could I put the last seven years of mothering moments into ten photos? Why was I not allowed to give an explanation? And beyond all of these questions was the totally irrational addiction of checking and rechecking the post. Were people seeing?  Liking? Commenting?

I was so happy when the ten days were done and I didn't have to post any more. Not that I didn't value the sentiment, and it was certainly lovely to look back at some beautiful memories, but the added mental strain was not appreciated at all. Maybe I was overthinking things, but that's how it was.

So when I was nominated for yet another challenge, this time ten black and white photos, I knew I would need to take a different approach. So thankful I have this blog right now.

This time I didn't overthink it (too much). The topic was much lighter in any case. I knew I had some photos I'd like to share, or others that would look cool in black and white. I spent the rest of the week taking a few shots when we were out and about that I knew I'd convert and use too. I intentionally waited until the last photo challenge was done before posting this one up. There is only so much I can do.

Without further ado, here are ten black and white photos (or photos I edited with the "Eiffel" filter on my phone because there was no straight "Black and White" filter and that was the one that I felt fit the most, so sorry to the real photographer people out there).











No comments: