Sunday, May 03, 2020

Sewing in Isolation

Neither of the girls had a particular gap in their wardrobe, but I wanted to sew. Three weeks into self isolating many things have been crossed off our to do list (including things that had been there for about a year, like "oil the posts") but I just wanted to do something a little more fun.


We had a look through my stash, and they each picked fabric that they liked. I sewed it into a reversible half circle skirt for each of them in a night. Pretty quick sew actually. I used the Circle Skirt Calculator by Hand Made London, which did the maths for the waist measurements for me.


Because I didn't particularly feel like hemming a circle skirt, and because the girls both liked a lot of the material (their initial pile of material that they liked was about eight different fabrics high), I offered to make their skirts reversible, so they could have options. Such a great choice because it was really easy to sew everything.


And now they have effectively two skirts each right? I went against all of my instincts and let them have essentially matching skirts. I mixed up the waistbands for variety and to use up scraps, but the main fabrics of the skirts are the same. The mermaid print was just so cute I couldn't give it to one girl and not the other. There was just enough of it for a skirt each, so it was good to use it all up in one go. I think I got it on sale at Spotlight for $2.00.


Rachel chose the butterfly material which I got from a material swap day at the local sewing studio, Sewing Adventures, over a year ago now. Same time I got the material I used for the K.I.D.S. outfits last year. There was heaps of it. Sophie liked the stars (which I've used before in shorts here), but there wasn't quiet enough, so she was happy to have the butterfly material too. I think her half half skirt is possibly my favorite.


Here they are in their matching skirts. Actually, they have spent the day swapping them over every few hours, which has been just hilarious. So cute that I don't even mind the matching. Is social isolation finally getting to me? Maybe.

No comments: