Sunday, September 15, 2019

Slower Reading

The most recent reading I have done has been at a much slower pace to the previous set. These have taken me since June. I've read them in short bursts, sometimes two books a week and then nothing for a couple of weeks before starting up again. The later half did happen in quick succession though, because I hurt my back and had to spend a considerable amount of time one Sunday lying down, and then Steve went to Melbourne for a week, so what else was there to do in the evening hours?

Anyway, you'll note that Newt's Emerald again makes an appearance. I can't help it. Even though I've now read it four times since discovering it in May, if I see it at the library, I just grab it off the shelf again. It's too freakin' good to leave there.

Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix
Accidental Heroes by Lian Tanner
Dancing the Charleston by Jacquline Wilson
City of Fear by Andrew Beasly
The Undercover Secret by Colin Thiele
Lyddie by Katherine Paterson
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt by Rhiannon Williams
Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
The Name at the End of the Ladder by Elena De Roo
Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
Atlantia by Ally Condie
Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

What we've read to the girls has been Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. The Broadway show is coming to Brisbane and my parents are champing at the bit to take the girls to a show at QPAC. I'm hesitant (though I love live theater), but I thought if we prep them, they'll be able to sit through it. I saw it on the shelf at the library last week and picked it up.

I was expecting it to take a couple of weeks to read, but the girls were hooked by chapter two. We started on Thursday night and finished on Sunday afternoon. The excitement and joy that the girls expressed in great leaps around the room and cheers when Charlie finally got his Golden Ticket was unbelievable. I wish we had videoed it.

When I'm sitting on the couch, reading aloud to the girls a chapter book with very limited pictures I can't help but feel rather old school, but also unbelievably proud and excited that they too are drawn in to the wonderful world of reading.

No comments: