Thursday, December 13, 2018

Reading 2018

With our increased library visits this year, I've been lucky enough to pick up some books for my self. Oh the joys of reading! I always miss it when it's been a while.

After forgetting the names of a few that I had read, I went back to the library website to see if my "borrowed history" existed somewhere, but alas, it does not. So I made sure that I wrote down the rest of them, so I wouldn't have to rely on my somewhat faulty memory if I needed to.

Here's what I've read:

Wonder at the Edge of the World by Nicole Helget
Crown of Three by J. D. Rinehart
Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
The Firefly Code by Megan Frazer Blakemore
The Lost Property Office by James R Hannibal
Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman
Tales from a Tall Forest by Shaun Micallef
Theophilus Grey and the Demon Thief by Catherine Jinks
Theophilus Grey and the Traitor's Mask by Catherine Jinks
Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
Crow's Revenge by Marcus Alexander
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
The House of Months and Years by Emma Trevayne
I Was a Rat or The Scarlet Slippers by Philip Pullman
The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voigt

I did read one other with the word star in the title as well, about I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was about the constellations and was very cool, but no idea what it was called. Oh, and one more, right back at the start, but I can't even remember what it was about because I went from that (which I'm sure was set in a Steam Punk Elizabethan England era) straight to Wonder at the Edge of the World, which was set in a farm in Mississippi or Alabama or somewhere, and was just worlds apart.

I have to say that reading books by authors that I read as a teenager myself makes me super happy, because these authors are still doing what they love and doing it really well. The Philip Pullman, Cynthia Voigt and Catherine Jinks books are all fantastic. Read them!

What not to read on this list is absolutely without a doubt Crow's Revenge by Marcus Alexander. I do not know how this book could have possibly ever been published because it was terrible from start to finish. And yes, despite hating it from chapter one, I did finish it. Steve kept telling me that I didn't need to, and at first I told him I was sure it could get better, but when I was a third of the way in, I had well and truly realized that it was, in fact, not going to get better. Then I just kept reading it because I'm too task oriented for my own good and I couldn't not finish it. It was awful. Completely. Never read this book, ever.

A couple of these books were the first in a duo, trio or series, which I wouldn't mind finishing but so far have had no luck picking up the next books. Steve has encouraged me to use the order system on the library website to get them on hold, but I'm not sure I want to commit just yet. Picking up a book or two each time we happen to be in the library feels a lot more manageable than actually asking for a book. That feels like I'm going to need to read it, no matter how busy I am.

No comments: