Sunday, December 09, 2018

Extension Progress

Believe it or not, renovation works have begun! When I posted about it back in August, I didn't really believe it would ever get off the ground. And then there were delays, which helped to confirm all my deepest fears about renovations. But works have begun and been in full swing for over a month now. The girls even talk about the extension to others and make wishes on dandelion flowers that the deck will be finished tomorrow.

As things progress, I took the liberty this weekend to do some painting, and in the process, did what every parent probably dreads their children ever doing:


We painted the wall.


This wall is going to be knocked out for our extension (you can kind of see what's going to be there beyond the windows if you are desperate for some kind of building update), so I knew it was an opportunity too good to be missed. I only wish I'd done it sooner, but we have been exceedingly busy this last month.


The girls were a little skeptical when I told them we were going to paint the wall, in multiple colors, and that they were allowed to help, and paint whatever they wanted to. I really did give them free reign. The only stipulations were not the door, or the adjacent wall near the piano.


I did some rather boring patterns up the top, while the girls when crazy down below. I loved listening to them talking as they painted, and adding in different things as they crossed their mind. For example, after painting herself, some squirrels, the sky and trees, Sophie decided to paint some jellyfish, which she painted in the sky, because it was the most appropriate blue space she could think of.

I love this wall, even though I know it will be gone soon, just like the last one. But maybe, I'll be ambitious and paint a feature wall in the study when the extension is done, so I can have some creative crazy in our house for a little longer. Maybe I'll even let the girls help again too.

No comments: