Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Something Good

Something I really dreamed of when I was growing up was that ideal neighbourhood. You know the one you see in movies; where the parents all wave at each other as they walk past, and stop for a chat. The kids can just run next door, or down the street to play with a friend. The older neighbours get looked in on by those next door, just to see if they are all right.

I know that the modern world and digital age has changed things, and the reality of this may be completely different to the shiny fantasy I see in my head, but it's a dream I have hung on to for a while now. I'm thinking of it (and blogging about it) at this moment because tonight, I contributed to making this dream a reality.

Two weeks ago, the house across the street from us was vacated by it's previous tenants, and yesterday, I saw someone pull up and start unloading. When I saw the lights on tonight, I thought there was no time like the present, and promptly loaded up some of the excess pasta I had made for dinner into a takeaway container, popped some ANZAC biscuits into a snap lock bag, and wandered on over. The person who greeted me was surprised and excited at the fact that someone had bought her dinner, and I left feeing really fabulous.

It occurs to me that this is what growing up should be about. I know that I want to see a great neighbourhood where people know and care for each other. I know that I want to live in such a neighbourhood, and have my kids grow up in such a place. And I've realised tonight, more than ever, that I am responsible for making that dream a reality. I have the power to help create such a place, right here and right now.

I am so thankful for the neighbourhood that I live in. Thankful that God has been so gracious to us, in giving us really wonderful and caring neighbours. I'm praying that I can continue to be a blessing to those in our street, not just when they move in.


No comments: