Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Nehemiah

Have been thinking about a number of things lately, and even writing half of the blog in my head, but when I come to the computer, it all seems to just run away. Maybe it's got something to do with my current mental state. Here's an example for you.

Last week, I was cleaning the bathroom. Not the most fun job in the world, and admittedly I had left it a little long, so it was a bit more gross than usual. I am there on my hands and knees scrubbing away thinking to myself: "This is gross. Humans are gross. Look at the mess we make. It's everywhere. All I do all day is clean up this crap."

It doesn't end there, because I keep thinking.

"This mess isn't just our outside. We are dirty inside as well. We try to do good, but fail all the time. I'm trying to love people, do the right thing, read my bible, but I'm failing. Everyday. Failing."

And it's true. We, as humans, can try as hard as we like, but in the end, we are going to fail. We are not perfect. We can never make it. I know this is why we need Jesus. This is why we need a God who comes down to us to bridge the gap. I find that I relate to Paul's sentiment from Romans 7 more and more.

Anyway, enough of my mental state. I am getting through it, as always. God is good. All the time.

Recently in church we have read through Nehemiah, and last Sunday, because it was the 5th Sunday of the month, we recapped the whole 13 chapters. I must admit, I was a little dubious about recapping 13 chapters in one night, but I did enjoy the sermons on Nehemiah that I had heard, so I was also looking forward to hearing the parts I had missed.

Neil did a great job. Nehemiah tells the story of a broken Jerusalem. Not just the physical place, but also the people. God is faithful to these people, this broken place. Nehemiah has the job of organizing the people to rebuild the wall, and then lead the people in coming back to God.

The story is so encouraging, and yet heartbreaking, because in Chapter 13, after all of these reforms, Nehemiah returns to Jerusalem after being away to find the people have fallen back into their old ways. I know I've read it before, but I was so sad to hear it again on Sunday. Maybe because I can relate. Why is God so faithful to people who just forget about him? Why is he so faithful to me?

How amazing is God's love for us. How great is it to remember that he has abundant forgiveness and grace for all our failings. God is good. All the time.

No comments: