Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Last Minute Preparation: Dresses for Sophie

So you'd think that at nearly 39 weeks pregnant, I'd be doing last minute things for the new baby, or just lying around. You'd be wrong. Well, I am doing a fair bit of lying around, and we did do some final things in the nursery yesterday, but in the last week I've been preoccupied with some other things.

Given that I won't have much time on my hands to make Sophie (or the new baby for that matter) as many cool things as I have in the past, I thought I'd whip up a couple of size two outfits for her so they were ready when the time came. I am really happy with the results, though I have to say my gathering skills are still lacking in finesse.


 Firstly, I made an Izzy Top, with the free pattern found on Climbing the Willow. I have to say, I'm really thankful for the internet and all of the free things that it gives away. Because the bodice of this top is completely lined, some creative sewing meant that I could actually make the whole thing reversible. Two tops in one!


I'd do it differently next time, but it was good learning and practice. The back closes with a snap so no yucky button holes to navigate for me. I am well pleased.


The next thing I made was a Sally Dress from Very Shannon. I made another of these in December/January for Sophie's First Birthday. I really like that it has no buttons or zips, but it can be a little fiddly to get all of the bodice sewn. That said, it did only take probably an hour and a half from start to finish, so I can't really complain.


I lined the pockets and bodice with some of the left over material from the Izzy Top. Despite it's pink-ness, I really like it.... what's happening to me??


I did put away the sewing machine this morning with a bit of a sigh, knowing I've actually finished the important things on my to-do list and it might be a while before I can get Sally the Sewing Machine and Olivia the Overlocker out again, but I'm inspired by an idea for a travel mat, and some new car toys for Sophie, so maybe it won't be so long as I think.

No comments: