Sunday, August 04, 2024

Japanese Fabric Sewing Part 2

Continuing to catalogue my sewing adventures so I can look back and see the work I've done, here is another dress that I made with some Japanese fabric from our April Travels. I was (and still am) very actively trying to sew fabric that I buy, rather than let it languish in my "stash". And also trying to be intentional about what I buy, and how I make it, so that it does indeed become something great that I will wear again and again, and not just add to the current insurmountable waste problem the world has. 

Small rant over, onto the dress. 

Just using the self drafted pattern that I've used before here, this dress is fun and perfect for being a crazy Japanese teacher. (Side note; I honestly thought I had made more dresses with this pattern, but I think I'm remembering wrong... time to make another?)

I sewed it in less than a week so I could wear it for Bento Day at school, which means I must have made it in May. Productive month!

My only regret was that when I laid out the pattern, I didn't realise I could cut the pockets out of another section and end up with a strip of material for a waist tie/belt. As it is, I have the exceptional pockets and a slightly obscurely shaped leftover bit of fabric, which isn't the end of the world since I'll surely use it up for some other project. Slowly, slowly I get better about achieving minimal waste. 

No comments: