Sunday, July 28, 2024

Japanese Kimono Haul

I was fairly restrained in Japan when I was buying kimono related things, given that I already have quite a sizeable collection, but here are some of the things I did get! Not sure I'd really call it a haul as such, but I will say that I'm really pleased with all of what I got, since I've worn everything a number of times this year already. 

This new obi matches the yukata I made nearly 18 years ago so perfectly!

For those interested, in the winter months of the year, I tend to dress in Japanese traditional clothes most work days and then some other days just for fun too. Since I'm now working a four day week, it means I'm actually in Japanese style more than western. Have to say, I love it, since kimono are comfy, warm and surprisingly easy to layer so I can adjust things as the day heats up. 

This obi is a different style, but is so versatile that I wear it all the time. 

First up I bought three obi (waist tie/belt things). The top one was such a fun sashiko design that I was in love with it instantly, even though it was a more maroon-red colour that I wasn't sure would go with many of my yukata. It has surprisingly matched way more of my kimono collection than I thought it would and I have worn it a stack. Especially since it's reversible with a different pattern on the other side. 

This bright yellow and orange one is also so fun. Can't get enough of the dual colours and I love to mix up how I wear it too. 

Same obi as above, but looking completely different! So cool!

The light is bad, but the yukata really is more a white than yellow. This is the other side of the first obi from above. 

I also bought two yukata, a white one with sunflowers and a white with blue and purple stripes. I felt these were different to what I already have (which, to be honest, is a lot of shades of blue with flowers) so I was happy with them. 

New yukata with this obi (that I made) and a new obijime (tie).

I got one haori, which is a jacket to wear with kimono.  Again, I looked at so many of these, since they are really common in the second hand shops and the size on them can be quite forgiving, unlike a vintage kimono, which is almost always going to be on the too small size. I found this one on our day in Shinjuku and I really love it. Most of my other haori are dark, so it's nice to have a lighter choice. 

Lastly, I bought my very first hakama! This is a skirt (or pants) that you can wear with your kimono. They were worn by loads of people, notably samurai, and also used to be part of the school uniform back in the day, because it means you can run and move really easily in your kimono without and fear of things falling open when they shouldn't. This hakama took a while to find since I wanted one made out of natural fibres rather than polyester. I got a 100% wool one, which means it's pretty much only going to be worn in winter, but I love it. 

First real outing for the hakama here, with my sunflower yukata on. I'm still working on tying it at a good length, and it def looks better with boots since it's shorter. 

I was a bit disappointed when I put it on the first time, since I had been expecting it to be a bit longer and found it short, but I've made my peace with it and I have been wearing it a stack in the last few weeks at school. Since it is short, it actually looks really good with a pair of boots, so winning there. 

I did get three new obijime (obi ties), one of which I wear all the time, but the two others not so much. Still, very satisfied with the new additions to my collection. Since I've been wearing kimono pretty much non-stop for the last three months, I've also gotten my dressing time down to about 15mins for a full kimono, which is pretty dang good. I was wondering last week if it was worth it, but then on Thursday I had a stack of students tell me they loved what I was wearing or commented on a previous days dress, so I guess they are noticing after all. 

No comments: