Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Peacock Dress

Every now and then, my mum gives me some fabric that she got at Spotlight that she insists "was a bargain!" I'm never one to say no to free fabric, especially when it is pretty stunning like this one. 

Stunning as it was, it took me a little while to figure out what I could use it for. It was the kind of material that needed to show off, and I didn't think one of the usual style dresses that I make would do it justice. When I was thinking about what to sew for Sew Frugal 22, finding new patterns and revisiting old ones I had saved, I came across the Nyssa Dress from Mood Fabrics, and thought I was on to a win. 


Unfortunately, I hit a stumbling block when I realised that the incredibly full skirt of the Nyssa Dress meant that I needed close of five metres of fabric and I only had about two and a half. You could still get the fabric at Spotlight, but it was outrageously expensive, so I waited until there was a sale and used the gift card that had been a Christmas present from my Uncle and got an extra two metres. 


The dress itself, being a wrap, was very straightforward to sew, and since the fabric was so fancy, I did French seams on everything for that professional look. In hindsight, I should have finished under the sleeves differently, because the French seams pull a little, but whatever. 


This dress is fun to wear and looks super with heals, which I was wearing when we took the girls to see the orchestra, but changed to flats for the birthday party we went to afterwards. 

The orchestra was fantastic by the way. So good to be enjoying live music again! Look around, look around, how lucky we are to be alive right now. 

No comments: