Thursday, November 07, 2019

Cake

It was the holidays. The end of the holidays. I needed to do some cooking and was craving some ginger slice with caramel topping; something that I knew the girls would probably not really be into. When the girls asked what I was doing, I threw caution to the wind and told them as I was cooking, they could both also choose one thing to make and provided we had the ingredients, we would make it. 

Cook books out! Rachel choose some honey jumbles, which were relatively straight forward. Easy. Sophie saw this cake, and was sold. There was a lot of washing up this day, but all delicious things were made. 


The girls did all of the measuring and stirring for their respective cooking. I just sliced and iced the cake for Sophie while both girls made the bees out of fondant. They added the stripes with Nutella and used flaked almonds for wings. 


The cake itself was honey with lemon and was delicious. Unfortunately for Sophie, who had chosen and made the cake, it was too sweet for her and she ended up not eating any of it. Oh well. She liked the bees. 


This cake was a fun way to end the holidays, and I'm glad we made it. I wonder if there are any other parents out there who let their kids make ridiculous cakes on a whim too. Probably.


I also wonder if the girls will remember this, or if they will complain in the future that I never do anything fun with them. Probably that too.

No comments: