Saturday, August 24, 2019

Book Week: Round 1

I feel like Book Week really encompasses pretty much all things I love, because it celebrates reading by encouraging people to dress up in costumes. What a great idea. Why can't there be book week for adults too? Maybe that's why teachers get into it.

This year, Rachel wanted to be Peter Pan. I think she just found her old Peter Pan hat in the dress ups and suddenly remembered she loved it. Although, I did also take her to a Peter Pan play day in the park and we did watch the movie that week too, so maybe it's more than an old costume.

Anyway! All we had for a Peter Pan costume was the hat, so we needed to add to it pretty quickly. Luckily, I had purchased a bit of green fabric from Spotlight for this exact purpose, I would say probably two years ago, but had never got around to making it. So now, all I had to do was find the material and make the tunic. Done!


Rachel sat at the machine with me and guided the material through. She also got to press reverse and lift and lower the presser foot. A budding seamstress! Hooray! Given that Peter Pan is a boy who runs away to Neverland and never grows up, I felt justified not lining or hemming this at all. For the pattern, I just traced around the top part of an Izzy Top Pattern and then extended it. I assumed it would work because the one Rachel has been wearing from Easter is really big. I was right.


She's also wearing her belt from her Luke Skywalker costume from last year's May the Forth. We attached a little jingly bell to the belt, so it was kind of like having Tinkerbell with her the whole time.

The day of Book Week at kindy, Hugo decided he would be a crocodile to match Rachel's Peter Pan, and Mia changed from being a Princess to a Fairy. It was really cute to see them team up together like that so they could play.


Sophie's school Book Week parade is actually next week, so even though I've made her costume, we will wait until then to go into it. She's pretty excited though.


No comments: