Thursday, February 06, 2014

Thoughts on Exodus

I've been reading the bible in my quiet times (even as I type this sentence I think to myself "Duh!"). Anyway. I am going through a reading plan that will take me through the whole bible in a year, but has Old and New Testament readings for each day (just to spice it up, especially when things like Leviticus hit).

I'm happy to say that I've finished Genesis, Exodus and Matthew already! I feel like this is a huge achievement, given that it's only the first week of February, but when I think that I've done three books out of 66, it feel a little less grandiose. Oh well.

I've been thinking a lot about what happened in Exodus the last few days. The Israelites have managed to escape Egypt with God giving some pretty spectacular and memorable events to boot. Then they get away and seem to stop for a long time. I'd never really noticed it before, but even before they are at the promised land for the first time, God has them all camping in the wilderness while he gives them some (quite detailed) instructions.

This is the first time that the people of Israel are actually getting instructions from God about what it means to be his people. And boy, it takes some time. I guess that when we come down to it, God is a holy God, and for the Israelites to be his people, they had to learn a few things (and unlearn a few bad Egyptian-influenced habits).

It strikes me that because this is the first thing that God does with his people after their rescue, it stands that it's probably the most important. They get their commandments, they are told the terms and conditions of serving God (which they agree to), they spend a lot of time (and effort, and resources) making the Tabernacle, the holy things that go inside and the outfits for the priests among other things.

This makes me think back to when I became one of God's people. How precious were those first few months, even years, where He instructed me. How great are the truths that I learnt at that time, that I keep coming back to.

Even now, nearly 10 years on, I am again struck by how important it is to leave everything else aside, and get to know God first. I am again amazed by the fact that God wants to know us and will take the time to teach us, with his word, with his Spirit, with his people. How great is our God who loved us first, and loves us still.


1 comment:

MKT said...

And who is instructing us still.