Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Steve's Shirt

I have always sewn stuff by pretty much making things up as I go. I learnt the basics from mum, and then at high school, but everything else is self taught and hacking it together. This doesn't usually bother me, but for a long time now I've had a real avoidance of button holes and zips, which really limits the kind of things you can sew, especially if you are sewing for yourself. 

When the sewing studio in my area advertised a men's button up shirt class, I thought this would be a good opportunity to learn to sew the right way. As an added bonus, I'd also get a button up shirt for Steve to wear. It had long been my theory that Steve chose not to wear button up shirts because the only ones he had were just boring work type shirts, and his geeky/funny slogan T-shirts are just generally more fun. I thought I could solve the boring button up shirt problem by sewing a button up shirt for him in a fun fabric so he might be more inclined to wear it. 

So I took the plunge. It was a little bit like a birthday present to myself, back at the end of March there (so long ago now!) Unfortunately, there were a few COVID scares in the weeks before, so we ended up having to look for fabric online. Still, we came out with this great Jocelyn Proust print that is pretty cool. 


I went to the sewing studio and enjoyed sewing with other like minded people. There was someone there to help guide us through, but the instructions of the Troop Shirt from Tadah Patterns were very explicit and had great illustrations, so it was easy to read ahead myself. One of the biggest things I learnt was that I could absolutely sew something really swish and professional if I actually take the time to do all the steps. Who knew!


I also learnt that Sally the Sewing Machine is still no good at button holes, but that I actually have the skills to work around that, and can sew a decent button hole regardless. The other students and even the teacher were scratching their heads at what Sally was doing when it came to button holes, but I made it work. 


Steve was pretty chuffed with his shirt, and so was I. It was everything I wanted it to be, and I'm ready to make more. Too bad life has been very busy since April and I've barely had time to read let alone sew. Hopefully soon though, because we have a great arrow fabric picked out for the next one. 

No comments: