Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Rachel's Easter Dress

I keep mentioning dresses that I've made for the girls over the summer, but as yet, there has been no post about it. I am seemingly disorganised in my blogging this year. Oh well. This is me trying to rectify the situation slightly by telling you all about Rachel's dress. I haven't got photos of Sophie in hers yet, so that post will have to wait. 

I was originally intending these to be made around March/April, for Easter, but the girls got really excited when I took them to Spotlight to choose material, and I had time when we were on holidays. So I made them early. I don't usually take the girls material shopping, (actually, I am always trying to use up what's on hand, so they don't get much choice most of the time), but Spotlight had 40% off and I wanted to treat them. 

I used a pattern that mum has used to make the girls dresses before. I measured Rachel and looked at the pattern size and made her a size five, even though she's six and a half. Even the five is too big in the bodice, so I'm glad I did. I added a bit of length to the skirt and did some random things with the sleaves. Also played around with a feature on the waistband. It's fun to try new things on a dress just because. 

I am pretty satisfied with how it all turned out and Rachel is happy that her fabric choices became a dress she can wear too. 


Oh, and at Rachel's request, I added pockets. They are a little low down, but they are functional. Her hair in these photos is her "Bee Hair", which she wore when she was being Bertha the Bee for Book Week last year. Strange little Rachel, we love you. 

No comments: