Sunday, March 24, 2019

Renovation Update: The Forth and Final Chapter

This is it people. The builders officially left last Friday. We are done.

I spent Friday, in between looking after children, painting these windows. Luckily I got them done (two coats!) and back in before the big storm hit in the afternoon. Otherwise we might have seen a lot of water damage in the laundry area. These were the only existing windows that we didn't repaint in the window project of 2014.


When the builders cleared off the deck of all their stuff, it suddenly seemed a lot bigger. So great to have it done!



On the weekend, Steve mattocked up all the bare ground that had been compacted by the excavator at the start and weeks of builders walking on it. Thankfully the rain made it a little easier, if also a lot muddier. At last the grass as something to grow into again.


We still need to oil the deck. The list of things we need to do seems to get bigger before it gets smaller. Inside the house we keep finding extra things that need seeing to, and I'm still unpacking the kitchen. There are cupboards in there that I haven't even touched, even though they are full of who knows what. But slowly, we are working it out.



It's hard to fit the whole house into a photo from the back yard now, but we still feel like we've got enough lawn.


I am also spending lots of time making the house "officially safe" again for work. I'll have to put a gate on the bottom of those steps, because of, you know, danger and stuff. I also wonder if the powers at be will ask us to cover up under the stairs there because of entrapment issues, but fingers crossed they don't.


Look, an outdoor setting we can actually use! We've only had it for, I don't know, six years maybe? It's been under the house, waiting. We've used the chairs before, but the table was too big to get out often. Here is it's time to shine!


The bay window cushion was the last thing we got. I love the purple colour adding some fun to the room. I feel like I could have taken better photos and made everything look super swish and professional, but it was enough trouble to keep the kids out of an area for just one photo that I didn't feel like I had the energy for any more.


This is the only photo I have of the bathroom. I wonder if people want more? Should I, for example, take photos of the laundry cupboard too? I don't know! I did take a walk through video, but I got a little rambly in my explanation in it and think I need to redo it. Do people even want to see that? I have no idea.


The bathroom is shiny and clean, and the girls love the bath. The faucet swivels out of the way, which is also super cool.


Anyway, that's a wrap! House renovation complete. We are looking forward to having people around and making use of our space to welcome people.

No comments: