Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Hit it with a Hammer

Otherwise titled: Lessons with Dad.

I run a playgroup in our community on a Tuesday morning which includes a music session. Bear with me, I know it sounds totally unrelated to the title, but we will get there, I promise. We had been lugging out a big old school sound system thing every week, when I started to bring along our Bose speaker box instead. This was much easier, but I had to remember to take it home again.

Then we were luckily gifted a very similar speaker box, which worked great for about a month before it decided it wouldn't always work. I took it home wondering if we could fix it, but nothing could be done.

So Steve decided to hit it with a hammer. It was his way of showing the girls what was inside, and since it had no outside screws (the casing clipped on), there was no other way of getting inside.


I wish I had taken a before photo.


But the girls did have a great time smashing at it on the front steps. Again, we talked about correct tool use and safety. And found all sorts of interesting things on the inside.


Here they are pulling it apart with screw drivers now that the outer casing was destroyed. 



And here are all the interesting things that were on the inside! The most exciting bit was the magnets around the speakers themselves, but closely followed by the switch Rachel found on that electronic/computer card-y thing there.


Are you wondering what you could learn if you hit something with a hammer right now? So much fun learning in destroying something. Very cool.

No comments: