Thursday, October 09, 2014

A Week of Bento

Well what was happening at our house for the last two weeks meant that Sophie spent a lot of time not at our house. And I mean a lot. She was babysat a stack of fabulous people, some of whom gave up their time twice to look after her for long periods. I can not thank these people enough.

Anyway, while Sophie has been out and about, I decided I'd use the times to make her great lunches and practice some bento making. Sadly, because we have been so busy some of them are particularly boring or repetitive, but I still think they made her feel very loved by me in my absence because most of them came home eaten. Hooray!

I don't want the hard work that went into these to be missed, so I thought I'd share them with the internet for safe keeping. Sorry for some of the bad quality photos. I was taking these either in a rush, the night before, or in bad cluttered situations. Bear with me.


Bento one is the most boring looking. Pear, crackers, Vegemite sandwich and cheese. Eaten though, and that's the goal here.


Bento two is much more fun. Frog lunch box, apple and strawberry fruit salad, cheese (two types!), dip, rice crackers and more rice crackers. There are sultanas in the little "Tasty!" box.


This bento was also really fun. Crackers, avocado, dip, a heart shaped egg, yogurt and strawberries. I was really impressed at the way that Sophie didn't come home with the yogurt all over her. Well done to the baby sitters for their diligent efforts. :)


Here's a photo just so you can see how the heart shaped egg came to be. I've got a star shaped mold too. One day I dream of having a car, or a fish mold as well, though there are lots of others out there. 


This lunch was in the frog box again. Ham and cheese sandwich with avocado and tomato (that sadly didn't get eaten), strawberries, rice crackers and yogurt. Sultanas again in the "Tasty!" box.


I feel like this lunch is very gluten free. Rice crackers, star egg, cheese and yogurt. Strawberry and apple fruit salad and sultanas in the "Hello!" box. Are you seeing the repetition yet? Thankfully I've used a different colored spoon each time, so Sophie probably didn't notice.


And finally, yogurt and strawberries. A star egg, cheese and Vegemite sandwiches cut into little flower shapes. I would have put in little animal picks to eat the cheese but Sophie might have been too distracted or choked on it, so I'll wait until she's older to unleash that awesome on her.

1 comment:

Amy Homann said...

I love them!! My homestay mum made me one the other day and it was so good so I bought some bento boxes so I can make them in Australia !!