Saturday, August 24, 2024

Sweet Book Week Reflection

I would usually highlight a Japanese book for book week, but this year, I went in a saree. We have a large population of Indian students at our school and I wanted them to know I see them, and that their culture and language are respected and valued in our school too. The number of Indian parents who took the time to thank me for wearing their dress made the hours of practice putting it on worth it. 


What I do at school as a teacher is more than just my passion for Japanese. How are you seeing and recognising the various languages and cultures represented in your school, workplace or community?

The book, Amma’s Sari by Sandhya Parappukkaran, also perfectly encapsulates why I wear my yukata and kimono etc, as often as I can. Such a simple yet moving book for people who are representing one culture while living in another. 

My other Book Week posts will no doubt be late this year, since I've been swamped at work and quite overwhelmed with life at the moment, but reflecting on this beautiful saree and the choice I made to wear it gives me hope of a brighter future. 


No comments: