Monday, September 16, 2024

The Flip Side

I feel like this should be a really excited kind of post, given that it is largely about Book Week and sewing, but alas, it is not. Sometimes I love sewing things. Most times, I could not be more excited when someone asks me to make a costume. But it turns out that there are times where I just couldn't care less; this is one of those times. 

It's been a pretty up and down kind of year. I was plugging away at the start of Term 3 feeling actually ok about life, but when it came to making Rachel a Nanny Piggins costume for Book Week, I somehow found  I had no real interest in it at all. 

The costume itself was quite straight forward, and I picked up a blue business shirt to Frankenstine into a drop-waist dress from the op-shop easily enough ($7 - bargain!) But actually sewing it was... let's say different. I didn't put it off, I wasn't lacking motivation. I got the job done, but I had about zero interest or excitement for it. It was honestly so weird. 

Rachel was so keen for it, since she loves Nanny Piggins, and I thought her enthusiasm would be infectious, but it was not. I made the little blue jacket out of some leftover fabric from the stash, so I didn't even have to brave a trip to Spotlight to make it happen, but I was so disconnected from sewing it that I didn't even bother to hem the dress or the jacket. 

I didn't know what it was then, and I still don't know what it is now, but I was absolutely meh about the whole thing. Weird. 

My take away from this is, that for everything in life, there is going to be a flip side. Times when you love it, and times when it's meh. And in those times, you just do it anyway. 

So I did it anyway, and, even if I never finished the hems, Rachel does love it. I knew I'd be off to work early on the day of Book Week, so I got the girls into their costumes on the weekend before to take some photos. Rachel couldn't find her book on that day, but was happy to pose with the chocolate wrapper since Nanny Piggins always has three types of chocolate stashed in her bag. 

On the actual day, not only did Rachel find her book, but also improvised pig ears out of balloons. Crazy child. Sophie went as Tilly from Tilly and the Book Wanderers, in a costume that I didn't sew anything for but did contribute to by making the bee necklace. 

No comments: