Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Bunting and Cake

Steve and I have entered the phase of our lives where the people around us are all having mile-stone birthdays. Turning 40 and stuff. I guess our turn is soon enough, but it was definitely a moment for consideration. 40? Really? 

Anyway, as with any big party, while most other people are thinking "Who do I invite?" or "What do I wear?", I'm thinking: do we have bunting for this? (Well, firstly "What food will we make?" of course, but the bunting is a very close second.)

Sarah was turning 40 and obviously needed bunting for her party. Even though I'd made bunting for her 30th, they were going for a "fancy cocktail theme" this time, so wanted some matching bunting for it. I didn't promise, given the "middle of term" nature of the party, but when it came to it, I did find six hours to sit at the sewing machine and make a new batch of bunting to suit. 

Bunting. So great. 

Our local Spotlight was actually closing down (just relocating) so I managed to get a good bargain on the fabric which was good. When you are trying to make specific themed bunting, it's much harder to source the material from stuff you already have. In the end, I was going for a black/gold look and I think I achieved it? 

Sarah liked it in any case. 

Ironically, when I asked her what cake she wanted me to make, she asked for the same one she did for her 30th - the Black Forrest Cake. I didn't think to look for that recipe at the time, but I still managed to find and use the exact same one, but with a few adjustments to make it more "actual cake" and less "goopy mess of cream and cherries". 

The little mini cupcakes were actually vegan friendly. I made them with the usual Shadowlands Cupcake recipe from Sophie's Bluey Cookbook, but added some of the cherry mix for flavour and then decorated to tie it in. Actually delicious and the fresh cherries were pretty sensational. 

Success for cakes too! 

Happy Birthday older sister! I guess if you are now 40, I'll definitely be there soon. :P 

No comments: