Thursday, August 27, 2026

Book Week 2026: Paula!

Better than making a costume for your book loving daughters: organising one for yourself. I've discovered that in the same way there are people in the world who hang out for Christmas and just love the whole season and everything it entails, so do I love Book Week. 

I wanted to go simple this year, for no particular reason. I think I am really feeling the push for sustainability and environmentally conscious choices. Even though I love making and creating, it's important that I'm not part of the ongoing overconsumption fast fashion problem we are currently living in. 

Anyway (off my soapbox now) I decided to re-use a costume that we already had; Squirrel Girl! I had made Sophie an excellent costume for Squirrel Girl in 2022. Rachel has worn it since (Superhero day at school, no photos), but I haven't. My turn now! 

Though I had the perfect brown boots to wear, I was less inclined to pair them with tights and a body suit for a Primary School Book Week. I was tossing up some of the shorts I had made, when I was fortuitously gifted a pair of brown jeans by my sister Sarah. Problem solved. Maybe not as comics accurate, but still in theme and much more practical for a day of teaching small children. 

I turned the brown cuffs I had made Sophie into arm braces and whipped up a pair of brown ears out of the leftovers. Everything was lined with leftover brown fabric from making pants for Rachel's Ranger costume. The brown Jedi belt and pouches also made an appearance. 

I thought I would have to do a fair few adjustments to the brown vest (or scrap it altogether) to make it fit, but I could get my arms through and it clipped up across my upper chest just fine. Winning! 


Tippy Toe was pinned onto my shoulder and I carried both the comic and the novel that we have of Squirrel Girl with me. Though I was not recognised by any students, except two year six-ers, I had a great time. Book Week for the win!

No comments: